I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Lord of the flies

Death to fruit flies!!

In summer we're plagued by fruit flies.

They show up seemingly over night and although I have started to bag all our fruit and put it away they seek out our under-sink food disposal and procreate.

I found a fool proof recipe to keep them in check though.

I pour some water into a large drinking glass. Add a squirt of Fairy washing-up liquid then mix in a large dose of honey and a splash of white wine vinegar.

This is left on the window sill and will attract the flies. It didn't take 5 minutes to catch the first fly when I mixed it up today.

I leave it as is for about two days after that I either throw it out and mix a new batch or use a small strainer to remove the dead flies.
I'm not sure what it is but I'm guessing too many dead bodies will leave a warning for the other flies to stay away.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...