I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Corsetery

This past weekend I had the day off - a whole day to myself and I started it in the sewing room fiddling with stuff for the girls but then I had a change of heart and decided to actually make myself something.

Said and done*

In May I took a bus trip up North to learn how to sew corsets. I haven't blogged about that yet, sorry. Anyway, I decided to start a new one.

I had traced a new shape on some muslin and I started by cutting out the outside fabric.

I chose an army green twill from my local fabric store. It's not quite as tough and non-stretchy as proper coutil that is the traditional corset fabric. But I had to make do with it since coutil is not available here.

Shell done.*

I interfaced the outside and sewed the pieces together. Then I cut out the inside in a bright red twill fabric of the same quality as the outside.

I plan to make an underbust corset that I'll have to wear a regular bra and shirt underneath. I think red topstitching against the green outside is going to look pretty.

Not getting any further now. The busk and boning are ordered but won't arrive for at least another week.*

In no time the inside was also done and now I have to wait a few days for the busk and boning, i.e. the hardware of the corset to arrive in my order from the UK.

The busk has to be put in first before I can move on.

* All pictures are processed in Instagram - I've fallen in love with it this summer and I apologise in advance if I go a bit overboard with the filters ;-)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...